We ask Overnight Camp volunteers to come ready to be “the best kid possible.” Our trained camp instructors will guide and facilitate the camp experience, your role is to spend time with kids – be curious about their lives, participate in all the activities with them, role model good listening, help keep the group on schedule, help with meal-time, and jump in to help when instructors need it.
BCM overnight programs take place 30 minutes outside of Denver in the scenic foothills. While close to the city, for our young campers this location feels a world away from their life at home. Camp sizes vary from 20-60 students between the ages of 8 and 12.
BCM staff works to build adult teams who have diverse skill sets that will complement one another. Each team-member will bring a wide background of experiences that will contribute to the group as a whole.
- Experience in youth development:
- Experiential education and facilitation
- Mentoring or teaching elementary-aged youth
- Delivery of youth development programs
- Experience in the outdoors:
- Camping and tent set-up
- Camp cooking
- Spanish speaking or bicultural
Physical Requirements: At camp you’ll be on your feet for long stretches of time and you’ll need to be comfortable walking on uneven ground/trails. Volunteers should be able and willing to spend the night outdoors, in a tent, sleeping on the ground.
- Pass background check
- At least 19 years old (preferred)
- Pay a $20 volunteer fee (BCM has alternate options to fee if needed)
- An evening volunteer training (early June, mandatory for new volunteers)
- Read Adult Handbook (digital)
- Support camp staff in creating an emotionally and physically safe experience for campers
- Commit to full camp experience (9:00am, day 1 – 12:00pm, day 2)
- Help with camp setup/teardown
- Participate in activities with campers, paying special attention to youth who may need more one on-one-care
- Engage youth to build meaningful relationships
- Be a positive role-model
- Coach and encourage highlighting transferable life skills
- Assist with meal logistics and preparation
Logistics: Program details will be provided in emails, and training. Good communication with BCM is key to ensure that you and the adult leadership team are thoroughly prepared for your time together.
- You will be responsible for bringing personal clothing personal-care items. A packing list will be provided. BCM has camping gear to loan, if needed.
- Meals will be provided (Talk to the Overnight Camp Manager for accommodations to dietary restrictions)
- Genesse, CO