Pacific Northwest Regional Program Manager
Regional Program Manager – Pacific Northwest
Big City Mountaineers plans to hire a Pacific Northwest Program Manager for the 2019 program season.
Big City Mountaineers Overview:
The mission of Big City Mountaineers is to instill critical life skills in under-resourced youth through transformative wilderness mentoring experiences. We believe that a meaningful experience in the outdoors has the power to change a life. On our expeditions, we combine the inspirational power of the outdoors with the support of caring adult mentors and professional wilderness educators to provide a safe and supportive environment for youth to develop teamwork, an increased sense of self, understanding of their place in the world, a passion for lifelong learning, and a commitment to environmental stewardship.
We provide free, fully outfitted and professionally led, wilderness mentoring paddling expeditions, backpacking trips, and overnight camps for under-resourced youth. Trips are designed to support and develop our student’s socio-emotional learning. We tailor each experience, create curriculum, and set goals in concert with our partner agencies so each student’s experience may vary but we are always seeking to teach or reveal civic mindedness, self-esteem, self-efficacy, responsibility, goal setting, resilience, and care for others.
Since 1990, our unique outdoor programs have had a net positive impact on young lives. Over the past 28 years, we have engaged over 10,000 kids, conducted nearly 800 expeditions, organized over 5,000 volunteers, led over 100 overnight camps, and provided over 45,000 nights under the stars for kids that would not have had the opportunity without BCM. We engage youth in seven cities across the country including Boston, Denver, Miami, Minneapolis, Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle.
The Regional Program Manager is responsible for managing a BCM program directly supported by BCM Headquarters. This role is charged with the management and execution of a safe and successful program season. Program Managers deliver safe, high quality, and effective wilderness expeditions and outdoor programs to instill critical life skills in under resourced adolescent youth. The Program Manager, in congruence with national program plans and standards, supports the delivery of seasonal programs.
Program Managers have secondary emphasis on community engagement as directed. A successful Program Manager will build and maintain strong partnership with youth agencies, volunteers, instructors, and local stakeholders.
The Pacific Northwest Program Manager will oversee programs in Portland and Seattle, and need to spend some time in both cities. Limited travel between the PNW region and BCM HQ in Golden, CO will be required.
Reports to: National Program Director
- Personal and professional values consistent with BCM’s mission, values, and principles
- Outdoor recreation program development experience
- Strong leader with tested people management, organization, and administrative skills
- Clear and effective communicator – both written and oral
- Able to work effectively in a dynamic environment – Problem solver, flexible and adaptable
- Willing to travel to work hands-on with partners
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback
- Ability to prioritize his/her work and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to cultivate collaborative relationships
- Create and role model professionalism at all times. Uphold and follow all polices and hold staff accountable for the same.
- Ability to inspire passion for our program
- Proficient working with Windows and Microsoft products, Salesforce experience a plus
- Comfort with basic IT tasks
- Current WFR or WMET and CPR or ability to attain before employment date
- Clean driving record and reliable transportation
- Ability to work remotely and communicate effectively with a team from a distance
- High degree of motivation and ability to work independently
- Internally motivated
- Ability to thrive and persevere in challenging environment
- Comfortable being held accountable to expectations
- Manage program to highest quality and standards, and ensure programs are consistent with BCM’s national vision and mission
- Maintain a culture of safety by communicating and upholding BCM’s policies and guidelines
- Manage instructional staff and seasonal employees in conjunction with Director of Programs to ensure high quality and safe programs
- Recruit, interview, select, schedule and manage expedition and single day instructors with support from HQ
- Recruit, select, screen, place, and manage volunteers and youth agency staff to create strong expedition adult teams
- Expedition logistics
- Single day programs scheduling and execution
- Plan and oversee local logistics
- Execute volunteer trainings with support from BCM HQ
- Manage youth agencies’ expedition needs
- Operate programs within budgetary constraints
- Facilitate youth selection and screen participants for program fit
- Manage emergency response and incident response procedures for PNW region.
- Conduct thorough pre trip briefings and post trip de-briefings with instructors and volunteers.
- Assist PD in maintaining all necessary permits for operations, including annual land agency permits.
- Collaborate with Program Director to address gaps in safety protocol. Assist in developing content and deliver methods to ensure program safety reaches everyone connected to BCM.
- Take a primary role in the training of field instructors and volunteers to BCM’s safety management systems.
- Maintain safety systems by actively managing the collection of activity waivers, background checks, MVR checks, emergency documentation, equipment inspection, etc.
- Respond to field emergencies, and perform on-call duties for courses in the field. The PNW Regional Program Manager must be available to respond to emergencies when PNW courses are in the field.
- Engage and develop a community of local BCM supporters with the support of BCM HQ
- Communicate with and support local BCM sponsors at the direction of BCM HQ
- Participate in, and sometimes lead, outreach efforts, promotional activities, and fundraising efforts.
- Input and track student and adult participation in programs
- Keep accurate records of programs, participants, and events using BCM’s data management systems
- Administer surveys and assessments
- Wilderness skills and experience appropriate for all courses conducted in program area preferred.
- Ability to participate in vigorous to moderate physical activity including but not limited to running, backpacking, and camping.
- Ability to lift and move a minimum of 40 lbs. and able to carry a pack weight of up to 60 lbs.
- Sitting or standing at a desk or computer 75% of time or greater.
Location: We are looking for an applicant who lives anywhere between Portland, OR and Seattle, WA, close to the I-5 corridor.
Compensation: $35,000 – $40,000/year DOE, benefits available
To Apply: Submit your Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Program Manager – Pacific Northwest” in the subject line. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Employment Start Date: February 11th – with possibility of starting earlier