Overnight Camp Instructor – Denver, and Boston
BCM aims to tap into the critical life skills of youth through transformative wilderness mentoring experiences. Working with community-based Youth Agency Partners and caring adult volunteer mentors, our professionally guided programs improve integrity, self-esteem, responsibility, decision-making abilities and communication skills in youth participants. BCM’s fast-growing 24-hour camping program provides kids ages 8 to 12 a safe, supportive environment where they can learn and grow. The program’s curriculum focuses on understanding: community values, teamwork, responsibility, and respect for the great outdoors.
Big City Mountaineers’ Instructors are the heart of our programming and serve as the front line for helping us serve youth across the country. More than anyone else, they understand the importance of the work that BCM does and how best to create a lasting impact on everyone that they work with. The dedicated field staff that works with BCM, role models excellent camp behavior while facilitating an invaluable experience that will ultimately help the youth we work with to feel more empowered in their everyday lives back home. Instructors serve as field risk managers, educators, guides, mentors and stewards as they venture into remote and wonderful areas across the country.
BCM is excited to offer the opportunity for Camp Instructors to take youth out into the ancestral territories of the Ute, Cheyenne, Arapaho & Shoshone (Colorado.) And the Abenaki of New Hampshire area (Boston Program).
Overnight Camp Overview
Through 24-hour camping experiences, BCM Overnight Camps provide youth, ages 8-12, with a safe and supportive environment to develop an increased sense of self, understanding of their place in the natural world, a passion for lifelong learning and awareness of healthy lifestyles. We aim for a 6 students to 1 Instructor ratio. Activities emphasize team-building and outdoor education to teach collaboration and teamwork. These activities allow campers to tap into critical life skills, using the outdoors as a unique context for these lessons.
Campers learn the following while at camp:
- Enhanced community values
- Increased Sense of Self and Responsibility
- Respect for the Outdoor World
- Curiosity about nature and that being outdoors is fun
The Overnight Camp Instructor will support the execution of safe and successful programming. This includes the day to day operations of each Overnight Camp including managing adult volunteers, Youth Agency Leaders, and youth. Beginning in June and continuing into August, the Camp Instructor role will be a combination of office work (Golden, CO or remote) and the management of 12 BCM Overnight Camps in Genesee, CO. Or, in our Boston area, a combination of logistics support and the execution of eight overnight camps.
Reports to: Overnight Camp Director
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Have valid driver’s license
- Minimum of First Aid/CPR (WFA or higher preferred)
- Pass BCM Background Check
- Cultural Competency & Strong understanding of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Proven ability and desire to effectively lead, motivate, communicate with, encourage, and manage youth of diverse backgrounds
- Proven ability to work in a fast-moving changing environment
- Experience working and leading youth development, environmental education, and/or recreation programs
- Be dependable, helpful, proactive, and display a positive attitude
- Comfortable in an outdoor setting, regardless of adverse weather conditions
Overnight Camp facilitation and curriculum achievement
- Overall daily schedule, outcomes, and objectives
- Group activities and games
- Work with youth and adults
- Uphold camp policies
- Manage Youth Agency Leaders at camps
- Manage volunteers at camps
Camp pre- and post- season logistics
- Supply lists
- Menu planning
- Activity materials
- Training materials
- Location set-up
- Camper paperwork
- Program day reporting
- Location tear-down
- Be the source of genuine joy and positive mental attitude
- Be “on” all the time
- Manage kitchen
- Be able to work in a fast paced environment
Compensation, Benefits and Location
This is a seasonal position
- 12 Camps from June 10, 2020, to August 8, 2020 (CO) or, in Boston, 8 camps from June 10 to August 14
- $200.00 per camp
- Bi-weekly payroll
- Pro Deals on apparel and equipment. All gear necessary to perform work, will be provided by BCM.