Overnight Camp Instructors
Welcome potential BCM Overnight Program Instructors!
Please read through the job description, fill out all fields and make sure to upload your First Aid, CPR, Resume and Cover Letter at the end of the application. Additionally, you will be asked to provide two references. Interviews for Instructors will begin February 15th. ALL applicants will receive information regarding their application status in a timely fashion starting after interviews begin in February, so please NO phone calls in the interim.
Thank you so much for considering Big City Mountaineers for your summer adventures and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Bix Firer and the BCM Team
Big City Mountaineers is looking for four Overnight Camp Instructors to assist in leading the 2018 BCM Overnight Program season.
Through 24-hour camping experiences BCM Overnight Camps provide youth, ages 8-12, with a safe and supportive environment to develop an increased sense of self, understanding of their place in the natural world, a passion for lifelong learning and, awareness of healthy lifestyles. Activities emphasize team-building and outdoor education to teach citizenship and teamwork. These activities allow campers to learn critical life skills, using the outdoors as a unique context for these lessons.
BCM Overnight Camps hires Instructors at two pay grades: Instructors from the ages of 18-20 have a chance to be mentored by more established professional Lead Instructors. Lead Instructors ages 21+ have a chance to gain valuable management experience.
Campers learn the following while at camp:
- Enhanced community values
- Increased Sense of Self and Responsibility
- Respect for the Outdoor World
- Curiosity about nature and that being outdoors is fun
Overnight Camp Instructors will facilitate camp curriculum and program elements including team building activities and group games, skills lessons, supervising mealtimes, building group camaraderie, and ensuring campers safety. They will be responsible for following the Overnight Program camp schedule, and getting campers to programs and activities on time. Beginning in mid-June and continuing into early August, BCM Overnight Program will conduct 16 camps in Genesee, Colorado. In most cases, Camps run 8:00am Monday – 2:00pm Tuesday and 8:00am Wednesday – 2:00pm Thursday. Instructors must attend the Overnight Camp Training the week prior to camp (Early June, exact dates TBD).
Reports to Colorado Program Manager/Overnight Program Manager
- At least 18 years of age for Instructor or 21 for Lead Instructor (as of June 2018)
- Good physical condition
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- Current First Aid and CPR Certification (or ability to have this before camp training)
- Proven ability and desire to effectively lead, motivate, communicate with, encourage, and manage youth of diverse backgrounds and experience working in youth development, environmental education, and/or recreation programs
- Be dependable, helpful, proactive, and display a positive attitude
- Comfortable in an outdoor setting, regardless of adverse weather conditions
- Manage and care for a tent group of 5-12 campers for 24-hour periods
- Mentor Youth Instructors, providing guidance and professional development to aspiring educators
- Act as a role model, facilitator, and caring listener to the participants in your group and instructors
- Facilitate team building activities, group contract, and small group activities
- Assist campers with camping technical skills including tent set-up and cooking
- Teach skill classes including, but not limited to: nature studies, wilderness skills, and team building initiatives
- Be proactive about risk-management by protecting students’ emotional and physical well-being
- Enforce the standards of behavior, disciple policies, and program procedures of Overnight Camp
- Lead and participate in large group activities
Questions?: please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Pay: Between $100-200/session depending on experience