Teen and youth agency leader canoeing packing list
As you pack for this canoe trip think light. You will be paddling/portaging most days and we want this to be a safe, successful challenge. This is great opportunity to experience and learn the “go light” trend. It is fun and rewarding. By living simply, you realize only essentials are needed to experience wilderness, have fun, and share with friends. This trip is about building relationships not about stuff!
Clothes/equipment to bring for the wilderness
- 1-2 swimsuits/shorts (nylon dries faster than cotton, do not bring jeans).
- 2-3 pair underwear
- 1-2 Sports bras for girls
- 1-2 T-shirts (nylon dries faster than cotton and it better in the cold)
- 1 visor/cap to keep sun off
- 1-2 Bandanas or buffs
- Personal care items (sample size toiletries: toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, non-scented lotion if needed, feminine hygiene products for girls). Everything should fit into one quart size Ziploc bag
- Lip protection (something like Blistex w/ SPF)
- Sunblock (SPF 15 or higher)
- Bug spray – something with 20% to 30% DEET is good.
- Second pair of glasses (if you use prescription glasses and you have a second pair).
- Strap for glasses (croakie or something similar if you can)
- Prescription medications, if needed. Extra rescue inhaler if you use one for asthma.
Luxury items for the wilderness – pick one or two of these if you wish. No more than 2:fishing gear, 1 long sleeve shirt for sun protection, book, craft, extra pair of shoes for camp or small pillow.
Additional clothes/equipment to bring for travel days
- Two changes of clothes (underwear, t-shirt, socks, pair of shorts)
- Something to read (optional)
- CDs to share in the van (no profanity, disrespecting women/authority figures, no glorify drugs or violence)
- Small or medium sized towel.
- Soap and shampoo
Items provided by BCM (issued for the trip)
- 1 portage pack
- 1 sleeping bag
- 1 sleeping pad
- 1 tent for every 2-3 teens
- 1 pair Keen shoes (teens keep after trip)
- 1-2 pair Socks (teens keep after trip)
- 1 pair Fleece Pants (if the weather requires it)
- 1 Fleece Jacket
- 1 Waterproof jacket & pants
- Thermal under layer top & bottom
- Warm hat
- 1 cup, 1 spoon, 1 bowl
- 1 water bottle
- Sunglasses (teens keep after trip)
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-17096476-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);