Create Your Own
Interested in doing something other than a guided climb for BCM?
- The options are limitless!
- Choose any outdoor activity or take a trip you are already going on to turn into a fundraiser for BCM youth.
- Best part? There is no fundraising minimum!
Big City Mountaineers is committed to supporting our Summit for Someone climbers every step of the way, helping to ensure you reach your fundraising goal and have fun while doing it!
We’ll help you set up a climber donation page and assist you along the way towards your fundraising goal. We encourage you to take full advantage of the Fundraising Guide and support from the BCM staff.
Many SFS participants are first-time climbers as well as first-time fundraisers. Therefore, we not only support you prepare you for your climb, but we also fully support your fundraising efforts.
Here are some of the resources we provide to make it easy to reach your goal:
- Personal Online Fundraising Page via Crowdrise – tell the world why you are Summiting for Someone, easily collect and track donations.
- Summit for Someone Fundraising Guide –we’ve compiled years of SFS fundraising tips, ideas, initiatives, and templates to make it easy for you to reach your goal.
- Monthly Email Newsletter Inspiration – read stories of transformation and success from our BCM youth, receive even more fundraising tips.
- Google Drive – access to a library of inspirational stories, quotes, and videos from BCM youth & Summit for Someone climbers
- Remittance Slip – print your own copies of our remittance slip; provide your donors a quick and easy way to send donations via snail mail.
- Flyers and Postcards – print your own or we can mail some to you.
- Facebook Group – connect to & get inspired by our growing community of climbers!
- Social Media Tips – new to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc, etc? We’re here to help!
As a thank you for all of your hard work fundraising, BCM sponsors provide our BCM Challenge participants exciting gear packages. You are eligible to receive a gear package once you reach $2,000.
While there is no fundraising minimum we do encourage you to strive to raise funds so that we can pay for one of the following big ticket items:
- $250 = A child’s first Overnight Camp experience
- $500 = Transportation for one team to and from expedition
- $1,000 = A teen’s transformative week-long expedition
- $2,500 = Training for all our adult mentors across the country
- $5,000 = One full expedition of 5 students
Mountain Gear generously stores and ships all of the SFS climber packages at no cost to BCM, so more of what you raise goes directly to youth programs! Thank you Mountain Gear!
We recommend our climbers purchase an adventure travel insurance package to protect themselves from the cost related to emergencies in the mountains, cancellations or the downfalls of international travel (delays, lost luggage, theft).Travel insurance offers the best possible protection if you have a sudden, unexpected illness or injury prior to or when traveling.
Be aware that most travel insurance policies commonly sold by travel agents DO NOT include high risk outdoor pursuits, such as mountaineering, glacier travel and sometimes not even high level trekking. Look out for terms like “off piste” or “roped travel” under the coverage exclusions in the fineprint of your policy. Additional cancellation coverage may be available if purchased within 14 days of making your trip deposit. However, trip insurance can be purchased at any time prior to the start of your climb.
Here are some Insurance recommendations:
For participants residing in the US we recommend the WorldNomads
- Check out their “Explorer Plan”.
Travelling Abroad & all trips in Canada we recommend TuGo™ Travel Insurance:
- Check out their “Adventure Sports Coverage”
- Coverage for Mountaineering up to 6,000m.
Other Rescue / Evacuation Insurance Options:
If you are not interested in a comprehensive insurance travel insurance package, we recommend the services that are connected with the American Alpine Club. A $75 membership (or $40 student) gets you $12,500 In Combined Rescue Coverage:
- Up to $7,500 of Global Rescue Trailhead Rescue Services (available worldwide)
- Up to $5,000 of Domestic Rescue Benefits (available in the U.S. only)
- Additional Global Rescue benefits can be purchased by AAC members at a 5% discount