The Grand Teton
Every year, Summit for Someone climbers join together to ascend some of the world’s most breathtaking mountains to improve the lives of under-served youth. The vital funding that is raised through Summit for Someone makes it possible for Big City Mountaineers to deliver transformational wilderness mentoring expeditions to urban youth across the country in need of positive adult guidance in challenging and restorative environments. The Grand Teton (13,770 feet) is one of the world’s most beautiful mountains. Since 1968, Jackson Hole Mountain Guides has provided mountain guiding services on the Grand and in many other locations throughout the West. Join SFS in undertaking this thrilling mountaineering challenge and an unforgettable experience! The Grand Teton climb involves 14 miles round-trip, 14,000 feet of combined elevation gain and loss, extensive scrambling and fifth class (5.6) climbing on the way to the summit.
- Dates: July 28 – 31, 2017
- Guide: Jackson Hole Mountain Guides
- Guide Fee (paid by BCM): $1,100*
- Route: Pownall-Gilkey and Upper Exum Ridge
- Elevation: 13,770 feet
- Climb Type: Alpine Rock
- Skill Requirement: Intermediate
- Location: Teton Range, WY
- Pledge Requirement: $4,000 (including a non-refundable registration fee)
Please complete the following for access to the Itinerary for this climb:
Have more questions? Call (720) 408-4569 and/or email Rachel, our Summit for Someone Program Manager
|Fundraising Websites – Crowdrise|
Big City Mountaineers is committed to supporting our Summit for Someone climbers every step of the way, helping to ensure you reach your fundraising goal and have fun while doing it!
We’ll help you set up a climber donation page and assist you along the way towards your fundraising goal. We encourage you to take full advantage of the Fundraising Guide and support from the BCM staff.
Many SFS participants are first-time climbers as well as first-time fundraisers. Therefore, we not only support you prepare you for your climb, but we also fully support your fundraising efforts.
Here are some of the resources we provide to make it easy to reach your goal:
- Personal Online Fundraising Page via Crowdrise – tell the world why you are Summiting for Someone, easily collect and track donations.
- Summit for Someone Fundraising Guide –we’ve compiled years of SFS fundraising tips, ideas, initiatives, and templates to make it easy for you to reach your goal.
- Monthly Email Newsletter Inspiration – read stories of transformation and success from our BCM youth, receive even more fundraising tips.
- Google Drive – access to a library of inspirational stories, quotes, and videos from BCM youth & Summit for Someone climbers
- Remittance Slip – print your own copies of our remittance slip; provide your donors a quick and easy way to send donations via snail mail.
- Flyers and Postcards – print your own or we can mail some to you.
- Facebook Group – connect to & get inspired by our growing community of climbers!
- Social Media Tips – new to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc, etc? We’re here to help!
As a thank you for all of your hard work fundraising, you are eligible to receive your gear package once you reach your fundraising goal, or 60 days prior to your climb, whichever comes first.
Mountain Gear generously stores and ships all of the SFS climber packages at no cost to BCM, so more of what you raise goes directly to youth programs! Thank you Mountain Gear!
We recommend our climbers purchase an adventure travel insurance package to protect themselves from the cost related to emergencies in the mountains, cancellations or the downfalls of international travel (delays, lost luggage, theft).Travel insurance offers the best possible protection if you have a sudden, unexpected illness or injury prior to or when traveling.
Be aware that most travel insurance policies commonly sold by travel agents DO NOT include high risk outdoor pursuits, such as mountaineering, glacier travel and sometimes not even high level trekking. Look out for terms like “off piste” or “roped travel” under the coverage exclusions in the fineprint of your policy. Additional cancellation coverage may be available if purchased within 14 days of making your trip deposit. However, trip insurance can be purchased at any time prior to the start of your climb.
Here are some Insurance recommendations:
For participants residing in the US we recommend the WorldNomads
- Check out their “Explorer Plan”.
Travelling Abroad & all trips in Canada we recommend TuGo™ Travel Insurance:
- Check out their “Adventure Sports Coverage”
- Coverage for Mountaineering up to 6,000m.
Other Rescue / Evacuation Insurance Options:
If you are not interested in a comprehensive insurance travel insurance package, we recommend the services that are connected with the American Alpine Club. A $75 membership (or $40 student) gets you $12,500 In Combined Rescue Coverage:
- Up to $7,500 of Global Rescue Trailhead Rescue Services (available worldwide)
- Up to $5,000 of Domestic Rescue Benefits (available in the U.S. only)
- Additional Global Rescue benefits can be purchased by AAC members at a 5% discount