Every year, Summit for Someone climbers join together to ascend some of the world’s most breathtaking mountains to improve the lives of under-served youth. The vital funding that is raised through Summit for Someone makes it possible for Big City Mountaineers to deliver transformational wilderness mentoring expeditions to urban youth across the country in need of positive adult guidance in challenging and restorative environments.
Have more questions? Call (720) 408-4569 and/or email Rachel, our Summit for Someone Program Manager
Take your fall hiking to new heights as you journey across New Hampshire’s Presidential Ridge. This 3-day, 20-mile, above-tree-line traverse will cross the summits of Mt. Madison, Mt. Adams, Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Washington, Mt. Monroe, Mt. Franklin and Mt. Eisenhower. You will spend the first-night camping and your second night in a hut. This will allow you to experience the incredible Appalachian Mountain Club’s hut system and give you some additional comfort. This incredible adventure brings hikers along some of the most beautiful trails in New Hampshire’s White Mountains during a peak time for fall colors.
- Dates: September 15-17, 2017
- Location: New Hampshire’s Presidential Range
- Guide: Mooney Mountain Guides
- Route: Presidential Traverse
- Type: Backpacking
- Skill Requirement: Beginner-Intermediate
- Max Elevation: 6,288 feet
- Pledge Requirement: $3,000 (including a non-refundable registration fee*)
- Guide Fee (paid by BCM): $750
*Your initial donation of covers a portion of the guide fee. You may choose to donate the rest of your guide fee during registration so that 100% of the funds you raise go to Big City Mountaineers.
Big City Mountaineers is committed to supporting our Summit for Someone climbers every step of the way, helping to ensure you reach your fundraising goal and have fun while doing it!
We’ll help you set up a climber donation page and assist you along the way towards your fundraising goal. We encourage you to take full advantage of the Fundraising Guide and support from the BCM staff.
Many SFS participants are first-time climbers as well as first-time fundraisers. Therefore, we not only support you prepare you for your climb, but we also fully support your fundraising efforts.
Here are some of the resources we provide to make it easy to reach your goal:
- Personal Online Fundraising Page via Crowdrise – tell the world why you are Summiting for Someone, easily collect and track donations.
- Summit for Someone Fundraising Guide –we’ve compiled years of SFS fundraising tips, ideas, initiatives, and templates to make it easy for you to reach your goal.
- Monthly Email Newsletter Inspiration – read stories of transformation and success from our BCM youth, receive even more fundraising tips.
- Google Drive – access to a library of inspirational stories, quotes, and videos from BCM youth & Summit for Someone climbers
- Remittance Slip – print your own copies of our remittance slip; provide your donors a quick and easy way to send donations via snail mail.
- Flyers and Postcards – print your own or we can mail some to you.
- Facebook Group – connect to & get inspired by our growing community of climbers!
- Social Media Tips – new to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc, etc? We’re here to help!
Know someone under 23 that may be interested in a Summit for Someone climb? Have them join your climbing team and your fundraising efforts could be doubled thanks to a grant from Positive Tracks!
BCM has partnered with Positive Tracks a national youth-centric non-profit, to help young people get active and give back through the Summit For Someone program! Positive Tracks has created a $25,000 Youth Fundraising Challenge to double funds generated by climbers ages 23 and under. Every dollar raised by young people and matched by Positive Tracks goes to BCM to transform the lives of under-served urban youth through wilderness mentoring experiences that instill critical life skills. With Positive Tracks’ help, Big City Mountaineers’ youth supporters aim to raise $50,000 for BCM, while teaching young people the rewards of making a difference using their own power!
As a thank you for all of your hard work fundraising, BCM sponsors provide our climbers with the following gear package:
- Chaos Balaclava
- Black Diamond Half Dome Helmet
- Columbia Fleece
- Columbia Tee
- Jansport Klamath Pack
- Jansport SFS Shirt
- Light My Fire Meal Kit
- Polartec Gloves
- Smartwool Socks
- Sole Ed Viesturs Signature Footbed
- Jansport Summit Flag
You are eligible to receive your gear package once you reach your fundraising goal, or 60 days prior to your climb, whichever comes first.
Mountain Gear generously stores and ships all of the SFS climber packages at no cost to BCM, so more of what you raise goes directly to youth programs! Thank you Mountain Gear!
Travel Insurance: We strongly encourage everyone to purchase travel insurance which covers trip cancellation, interruption, delay, baggage loss or delay, medical expenses, medical evacuation and repatriation. Travel insurance offers the best possible protection if you have a sudden, unexpected illness or injury prior to or when traveling. Check with the insurance provider for specific coverage details including adventure/sports coverage. Additional cancellation coverage may be available if purchased within 14 days of making your trip deposit. However, trip insurance can be purchased at any time prior to the start of your climb.
For more information please visit one of the websites below, or contact your local travel agent.