Pico de Orizaba
Every year, Summit for Someone climbers join together to ascend some of the world’s most breathtaking mountains to improve the lives of under-served youth. The vital funding that is raised through Summit for Someone makes it possible for Big City Mountaineers to deliver transformational wilderness mentoring expeditions to urban youth across the country in need of positive adult guidance in challenging and restorative environments.
Have more questions? Call (720) 408-4569 and/or email Rachel, our Summit for Someone Program Manager
Join us for a climb of this beautiful and accessible mountain in the heart of Mexico. First climbed in 1848, Orizaba is the 3rd highest mountain in North America and an excellent experience for the aspiring mountaineer. Standing 18,880 feet above the Gulf of Mexico to the east, Orizaba is an excellent challenge for those who have had some experience with mountaineering and are looking to test themselves at high altitude. Orizaba is the perfect next step on the road to peaks such as Elbrus and Aconcagua and has served as the choice for mountaineers as the first big mountain glacier climb.
“The Orizaba trip was a great adventure set within the rich culture of central Mexico. As an experienced climber, I was provided an introduction to high altitude mountaineering and Mountain Professionals also taught me vital climbing lessons along the way.”
- Dates: March 4-10, 2017 (Trip begins in Mexico City, Mexico)
- Days: 7
- Guide: Mountain Professionals
- Guide Fee (paid by BCM): $2,400
- Route: Jamapa Glacier
- Climb Type: High Altitude Glacier
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Summit Elevation: 18,880 ft. (5636m)
- Maximum Group Size: 8 Clients
- Pledge Requirement: $4,000 (including a non-refundable registration fee)
Please complete the following for access to the Itinerary for this climb:
|Fundraising Websites – Crowdrise|
Big City Mountaineers is committed to supporting our Summit for Someone climbers every step of the way, helping to ensure you reach your fundraising goal and have fun while doing it!
We’ll help you set up a climber donation page and assist you along the way towards your fundraising goal. We encourage you to take full advantage of the Fundraising Guide and support from the BCM staff.
Many SFS participants are first-time climbers as well as first-time fundraisers. Therefore, we not only support you prepare you for your climb, but we also fully support your fundraising efforts.
Here are some of the resources we provide to make it easy to reach your goal:
- Personal Online Fundraising Page via Crowdrise – tell the world why you are Summiting for Someone, easily collect and track donations.
- Summit for Someone Fundraising Guide –we’ve compiled years of SFS fundraising tips, ideas, initiatives, and templates to make it easy for you to reach your goal.
- Monthly Email Newsletter Inspiration – read stories of transformation and success from our BCM youth, receive even more fundraising tips.
- Google Drive – access to a library of inspirational stories, quotes, and videos from BCM youth & Summit for Someone climbers
- Remittance Slip – print your own copies of our remittance slip; provide your donors a quick and easy way to send donations via snail mail.
- Flyers and Postcards – print your own or we can mail some to you.
- Facebook Group – connect to & get inspired by our growing community of climbers!
- Social Media Tips – new to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc, etc? We’re here to help!
Know someone under 23 that may be interested in a Summit for Someone climb? Have them join your climbing team and your fundraising efforts could be doubled thanks to a grant from Positive Tracks!
BCM has partnered with Positive Tracks a national youth-centric non-profit, to help young people get active and give back through the Summit For Someone program! Positive Tracks has created a $25,000 Youth Fundraising Challenge to double funds generated by climbers ages 23 and under. Every dollar raised by young people and matched by Positive Tracks goes to BCM to transform the lives of under-served urban youth through wilderness mentoring experiences that instill critical life skills. With Positive Tracks’ help, Big City Mountaineers’ youth supporters aim to raise $50,000 for BCM, while teaching young people the rewards of making a difference using their own power!
As a thank you for all of your hard work fundraising, BCM sponsors provide our climbers with the following gear package:
- Chaos Balaclava
- Black Diamond Half Dome Helmet
- Columbia Fleece
- Columbia Tee
- Jansport Klamath Pack
- Jansport SFS Shirt
- Light My Fire Meal Kit
- Polartec Gloves
- Smartwool Socks
- Sole Ed Viesturs Signature Footbed
- Jansport Summit Flag
You are eligible to receive your gear package once you reach your fundraising goal, or 60 days prior to your climb, whichever comes first.
Mountain Gear generously stores and ships all of the SFS climber packages at no cost to BCM, so more of what you raise goes directly to youth programs! Thank you Mountain Gear!
Travel Insurance: We strongly encourage everyone to purchase travel insurance which covers trip cancellation, interruption, delay, baggage loss or delay, medical expenses, medical evacuation and repatriation. Travel insurance offers the best possible protection if you have a sudden, unexpected illness or injury prior to or when traveling. Check with the insurance provider for specific coverage details including adventure/sports coverage. Additional cancellation coverage may be available if purchased within 14 days of making your trip deposit. However, trip insurance can be purchased at any time prior to the start of your climb.
For more information please visit one of the websites below, or contact your local travel agent.