Longs Peak – Backpacker Magazine
Every year, Summit for Someone climbers join together with Backpacker Magazine to ascend some of the world’s most breathtaking mountains to improve the lives of under-served, urban youth. The vital funding that is raised through Summit for Someone makes it possible for Big City Mountaineers to deliver transformational wilderness mentoring expeditions to urban youth across the country in need of positive adult guidance in challenging and restorative environments.
Climb Longs Peak with Backpacker Magazine! At 14,259 feet, Longs Peak presents visitors with challenging hiking, spectacular climbing, and stunning views. Whether you would like to hike The Keyhole Route or The North Face Route, standing on the summit of Longs is the experience of a lifetime! This 3-day climb will allow not only for some time to acclimatize, but also an overnight in a picturesque boulder field before your summit attempt. As the sole concessionaire for technical guiding in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado Mountain School guides are able to carry technical climbing equipment that offers clients a layer of safety and experience.
Backpacker Magazine will host an after party at their headquarters in Boulder, Colorado to thank all the participants and sponsors, and give you a chance to network with outdoor industry companies in the area. Don’t miss it!
- Guide: Colorado Mountain School
- Guide Fee (paid by BCM): $475*
- Climb Type: Alpine
- Skill Requirement: Beginner
- Location: Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
- Elevation: 14,259 feet
- Pledge Requirement: $3,000 (including a non-refundable registration fee)
- Route: Keyhole or North Face
- Dates: August 25-27, 2017 (3 days)
Please complete the following for access to the Itinerary and Equipment List for this climb:
|Fundraising Websites – Crowdrise|
Big City Mountaineers is committed to supporting our Summit for Someone climbers every step of the way, helping to ensure you reach your fundraising goal and have fun while doing it!
We’ll help you set up a climber donation page and assist you along the way towards your fundraising goal. We encourage you to take full advantage of the Fundraising Guide and support from the BCM staff.
Many SFS participants are first-time climbers as well as first-time fundraisers. Therefore, we not only support you prepare you for your climb, but we also fully support your fundraising efforts.
Here are some of the resources we provide to make it easy to reach your goal:
- Personal Online Fundraising Page via Crowdrise – tell the world why you are Summiting for Someone, easily collect and track donations.
- Summit for Someone Fundraising Guide – we’ve compiled years of SFS fundraising tips, ideas, initiatives, and templates to make it easy for you to reach your goal.
- Monthly Email Newsletter Inspiration – read stories of transformation and success from our BCM youth, receive even more fundraising tips.
- Google Drive – access to a library of inspirational stories, quotes, and videos from BCM youth & Summit for Someone climbers
- Remittance Slip – print your own copies of our remittance slip; provide your donors a quick and easy way to send donations via snail mail.
- Flyers and Postcards – print your own or we can mail some to you.
- Facebook Group – connect to & get inspired by our growing community of climbers!
- Social Media Tips – new to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc, etc? We’re here to help!
Know someone under 23 that may be interested in a Summit for Someone climb? Have them join your climbing team and your fundraising efforts could be doubled thanks to a grant from Positive Tracks!
BCM has partnered with Positive Tracks a national youth-centric non-profit, to help young people get active and give back through the Summit For Someone program! Positive Tracks has created a $25,000 Youth Fundraising Challenge to double funds generated by climbers ages 23 and under. Every dollar raised by young people and matched by Positive Tracks goes to BCM to transform the lives of under-served urban youth through wilderness mentoring experiences that instill critical life skills. With Positive Tracks’ help, Big City Mountaineers’ youth supporters aim to raise $50,000 for BCM, while teaching young people the rewards of making a difference using their own power!
As a thank you for all of your hard work fundraising, BCM sponsors provide our Long’s Peak climbers with the following gear packages:
- Jansport Tahoma Pack
- Jansport SFS Shirt
- Jansport Summit Flag
- Black Diamond Half Dome Helmet
- Smartwool Socks
- Columbia Fleece
- Light My Fire Meal Kit
- Polartec Gloves
- Columbia Tee
You are eligible to receive your gear package once you reach your fundraising goal, or 60 days prior to your climb, whichever comes first.
Mountain Gear generously stores and ships all of the SFS climber packages at no cost to BCM, so more of what you raise goes directly to youth programs! Thank you Mountain Gear!