8000 Meter Challenge
The 8,000 Meter Challenge is Southern California’s ultimate dealer hiking challenge, open exclusively to outdoor industry retail staff. Participants climb So Cal’s three highest peaks, the “Three Saints,” in one day: first hike 9 miles up 10,064′ San Antonio (aka “Mt. Baldy”), then they hike 18 miles up 11,502′ San Gorgonio, and finish with a 12-mile hike, to 10,804′ San Jacinto, for a total of 40 miles and 12,000 feet elevation gain!
Founded by Mark Fulton in 1995, with five original participants, this unique event has grown to several hundred participants. It is a team event, not a race, in which retailers compete for the coveted “Summit Party Trophy;” a vintage ice ax engraved with team member’s names, that can be proudly displayed inside the store of the team with the most finishers.
Since 2007, the teams work together to raise funds for BCM. So far, the event has raised over $25,000, sending dozens of under-resourced youth on transformative wilderness expeditions.
San Antonio (Baldy): Friday June 23rd
- Meet at Manker Flats Trail 8am.
- “Twofers” will summit and descend Ski Hut Trail, then summit again via Backbone Trail, or perhaps choose a second peak in the area, such as Telegraph via Ice House Canyon.
San Jacinto: Friday, July 21st
- Meet at Valley Station 7:45am for 8am First Tram
- We will acquire permits, meet other hikers (or late trammers), and begin hiking by 9:00am.
- “Twofers” may decide objectives and route at Ranger Station
- Goal is a 4-hour round trip pace (down-tram pace).
- Tram Tickets are $25.95.
San Gorgonio: Friday, August 18th
- Meet at Vivian Creek Trailhead 8am.
- We will assign you to a permit; no need to acquire your own permit.
- “Twofers” may decide objectives and route at Trailhead. Note: South Fork Trail is currently closed due to the Lake Fire, so the twofer itinerary is pending those trails re-opening.
- Goal is a 6.5 hour round trip pace (down-tram pace)
Wednesday, September 6, 2017
4:00 pm. Registration Opens, Mt Baldy Lodge
4:00 – 6:00pm: Silent Auction, Raffle, BCM Donations and Schwag!
5:30 pm. JanSport Spaghetti Dinner Begins
6:00 pm. Event Welcome and Overview: John Drollinger
6:35 pm: Mark Fulton Award Presentation
6:45 pm. Special Presentation: Black DIamond Athlete Andrew McLean
7:30 pm: (Optional) Raffle and Silent Auction Winners
7:45 pm. Dismissed – Get Rested and Hydrated!
Thursday, September 7, 2017
4:30 am: Late Registration, Manker Flats Trailhead
5:00 am: Group Start: Mt Baldy
9:00 am: Mt Baldy Summit Cut Off; SMI Guide Begins Mandatory Sweep
10:00 am: Mt. Baldy Finish Cut Off (if leaving after 10am, go straight to San Jacinto)
11:30 am: San Gorgonio Start Cut Off
2:30 pm: San Gorgonio High Creek Cut Off
4:00 pm: San Gorgonio Summit Cut Off; SMI Guide Begins Mandatory Sweep
6:45 pm: San Gorgonio Departure Cut Off
8:00 pm: San Jacinto Last Tram Up
9:45 pm: San Jacinto Last Tram Down
11:00 pm: San Jacinto Wellman Divide Cut Off
12:00 am: San Jacinto Summit Cut Off; SMI Guide Begins Mandatory Sweep
Friday, September 8, 2017
9:00 am: Submit Team Scorecard to John Drollinger
9:30 am: Group Picture at Summit Tram Station
10:00 am: First Down Tram
10:30 am: Lowa Load Up Breakfast at Rick’s Restaurant
11:30 am: Summit Party Ice Ax Award Presentation
12:00pm: Thank You’s and Farewell