What We Do
The core Big City Mountaineers program is a week-long wilderness mentoring expedition where urban youth are given the opportunity to experience the beauty and challenges of the wilderness alongside supportive adult mentors. What had begun as a simple backpacking trip with an urban, at-risk teen 20 years ago has now evolved into a documented and well-tested progression of experiences coupled with opportunities for reflection and learning.
BCM Weeklong Expeditions:
- Provide wilderness mentoring opportunities to under-resourced urban youth age 13 to 18
- Cultivate relationships between youth and caring adult mentors
- Offer a unique 1-to-1 ratio of adults to youth
- Improve teen self-awareness and personal responsibility
- Promote group development and effective communication
- Partner with existing youth development agencies to better address the ongoing needs of under-resourced youth.
- Deliver safe wilderness expeditions led by professional field instructors
Who We Serve
- 71% are from single parent or guardian-led households;
- 83% are from families living below the poverty line;
- 80% have parents with no more than a high school education;
- 62% have never traveled beyond their county of residence.